Carob and fig ice cream serves 4; vegetarian
making use of the carob powder and syrup I brought home from Cyprus, I thought I’d try combining some awesome Cypriot flavours into this indulgent dessert. These ingredients are easily found in all well-stocked Turkish food shops.
- 2 large free range eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 60g caster sugar
- 200ml double cream
- 2 figs, peel removed
- 1 heaped tsp carob powder
- 1 tsp carob syrup
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk until stiff peaks are formed.
- Slowly whisk in the caster sugar, continuing until the egg whites are stiff and glossy.
- Whisk the cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks are formed – be sure to not whisk too much otherwise it’ll curdle.
- Fold in the cream, egg yolks, the inside flesh of 2 figs, carob powder and syrup into the mixture until well combined.
- Pour into a plastic container and freeze for at least 2 hours. Serve with more fresh fig, and carob syrup, according to taste.