sloe gin…and an incredibly sloe process (three months to be exact). Sloe gin makes a thoughtful Christmas gift, accompanied by homemade jams and chutneys in a hamper.
Do not worry about purchasing an expensive bottle of gin, a supermarket own will suffice.
Sloe gin produces 1 bottle; vegan
- 350g handpicked sloes
- 250g sugar
- 35cl gin of your choice
- Forage your sloes when they are in season (beginning to ripen in late August). Clean them thoroughly, throwing away any unripe, squashed or rotting.
- Using a sterilised needle, prick the sloes all over so that the juice of the fruit can seep through and flavour the gin.
- Sterilise a large kilner jar by placing it in an oven at 160°c for 20 minutes. Once cooled, add the fruit, followed by the sugar and gin. Seal and shake well.
- Store your jar in a cool, dark cupboard for 3 months. Make sure to shake every few days, or as often as you remember.
- After 3 months, strain the gin through muslin and bottle.