Baby aubergine, date and tamarind curry vegan; serves 2
I tried a date and tamarind chutney and just could not get the flavours out of my mind, so I tried to capture it in this curry
- 4 baby aubergines
- 1 medium brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 fresh chilli
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 tin plum tomatoes
- 10 medjool dates
- 100g lentils of your choice (I’ve used green and red)
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C, and pop the baby aubergines onto a baking tray and drizzle a little olive oil over them. Bake them for 30 minutes.
- Heat a tbsp of vegetable oil in a saucepan and cook the onion, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add the fabulous spices -turmeric, cumin, garam masala and bay leaves – and cook for a further minute.
- Stir in the chilli, tamarind paste, plum tomatoes and medjool dates. Add the lentils – and water down if necessary. Add fresh coriander at the last few minutes.
- Serve once the lentils are well cooked, and the aubergine soft and juicy all the way through.