Aubergine katsu and miso crunch bao buns makes 4 buns; vegetarian
tackling this Taiwanese dish; they’re a worthwhile challenge. Here I combine the pillow soft buns with classic Asian flavours.
For the dough:
- 130g strong white bread flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- ¼ tsp instant dried yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 30ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, caster sugar, yeast and baking powder. Pour in the milk and sunflower oil; mix well until a smooth and stretchy dough is formed. Knead the dough for 10 minutes.
- Shape into a ball and wrap in clingfilm. Place in a bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place to rise for approximately 2 hours.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, separate into 4 equal-sized balls, weighing approximately 80g each.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the balls into flat oval shapes. Brush the dough with little sunflower oil. Fold over, placing a chopstick where the crease in the bun will be, so it can be filled with tasty ingredients.
- Prepare the steamer (this can be bamboo or stainless steel), and steam the buns in batches for 8 minutes each.
Aubergine katsu bao:
- 1 small aubergine, sliced into 1cm discs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp katsu curry paste
- 5g fresh coriander, chopped
- Lightly dust the aubergine discs, then coat in beaten egg and panko breadcrumbs. Fry the coated aubergine in 1 tbsp sunflower oil, for 3 minutes on each side until cooked through andgolden brown.
- Gently warm the katsu curry paste, adding the fresh coriander. Fill the steamed buns up with the aubergine discs and curry paste.
Miso crunch bao:
- 70g cabbage, roughly shredded
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 small red chilli, sliced
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1tsp dark soy sauce
- Fry the cabbage, spring onions, radishes, garlic, ginger, chilli in miso paste and soy sauce.
- Load up the steamed buns with the stir fry.
Salad to serve:
- Fresh red chilli
- Spring onions
- A sprinkling of sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce