Cashew pesto and asparagus tagliatelle serves 2; vegetarian
the pesto experiments continue! To prove pesto does not strictly have to be made from pine nuts…I have thrown an avocado in there for a creamy pasta sauce base
- 8 asparagus spears
- 50g cashew nuts, toasted
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 15g fresh basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- 30g finely grated parmesan
- 200g tagliatelle
- Roast the asparagus spears on a baking tray in the oven at 180°C for 15 minutes, coated in a little olive oil.
- While the asparagus is roasting, make the cashew pesto. Toast the cashew nuts in a frying pan on a high heat. Blend together the crushed cashew nuts, garlic and basil in the food processor for 3 minutes. Add the olive oil, avocado and parmesan and pulse until the pesto becomes smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside in the fridge.
- Cook the tagliatelle in salted water for 12 minutes, drain and combine with the cashew pesto. Serve with the roasted asparagus and extra grated parmesan.