Dark chocolate and orange cookies makes 12 cookies
decorate these fragrant cookies with candied dark chocolate orange dippers
- 200g softened butter
- 130g brown sugar
- 260g plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- Handful of chopped hazelnuts
For the chocolate orange dippers
- 1 orange, sliced into segments
- 50g dark chocolate, melted
- 50g caster sugar
- 100ml water
- Cream together the softened butter and brown sugar. Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract, and combine well.
- Add in the flour alongside the chopped dark chocolate, orange zest and hazelnuts. Mix well until it forms a sticky dough.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a ball and wrap in cling film. Put the cookie dough in the freezer for 45 minutes. While in the freezer, pre-heat the oven to 180ºC / fan.
- Take the cookie dough out of the freezer and mould into 12 discs. Place the cookies on baking paper and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Leave to cool before serving.
- To make the candied chocolate orange dippers, as shown in my photo, create a syrup in a pan by warming the water with caster sugar. Bring to the boil on a medium heat, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the orange slices and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes. Remove them from the pan, and pop them in the fridge to cool and harden.
- Dip the orange slices into melted dark chocolate.