Japanese-style seared steak with sticky sushi rice serves 2
- 2 lean steaks
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt
- Spinach salad with spring onions, radishes, cucumber and sesame seeds
- 2 portions of sticky sushi rice
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- Start by marinating the steak. Crush the garlic and mix together the soy sauce, miso paste and sugar. Using a spoon, rub this paste onto the steaks. Put the steaks into a sealable food bag and leave to marinate for at least two hours.
- While this is marinating, cook the sushi rice. Coat this in rice wine vinegar and leave to the side.
- Make a simple salad consisting of sliced spring onions, radishes and cucumber. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan until very hot. Sear the steak for 3-5 minutes on each side (depending on how you prefer the meat cooked). Set aside to cool a little, then carve the steaks into thick slices. Serve with the salad and sushi rice.